Sunday, November 4, 2007

My First Crochet Project


Lion Cotton Tote, originally uploaded by tanyalizbeth.

I guess I should qualify the statement in the title with the word successful. This is my first successful crochet project. Several years ago I tried to make a crochet afghan with dismal results. A friend of mine actually ended up finishing the thing for me, nice person that she is. I could not make the edges straight to save my life so I gave up in frustration.

It just so happened that a few months after I took up knitting another friend of mine wanted to take a class at the local Michael's store to freshen-up her crochet skills and she wanted me to go with her. Now, the teacher of the class would have done knitting with me but I thought it would be easier if we all worked on the same project. We decided on this free pattern from Lion Brand, the All-Occasion Tote (you will probably have to log-in to access this pattern, but it's free).

And the result is this tote bag. The funny part is that my friend never made it past the first few inches of her bag before putting it at the back of her work basket :) I guess I'll have to finish it for her and complete this karmic circle.

I will say that I have no plans to do this puff stitch anytime in the near future,the yarn-overs were a real b*tch, but otherwise I think it turned out pretty great.

No comments: